Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
In line with international trends, the Library subscribes to a number of Electronic Full Text Databases. These databases provide access to a considerable number of academic, peer-reviewed journals via the Internet or from CD-ROMS located on the University's internal network, allowing you to access the information from any computer/laptop/tablet/smartphone on the University network.
We cannot over-emphasize the importance of these information resources to any person engaged in academic endeavour. Whether you are a first year student, or engaged in PhD research, these are the information resources of the future, available for your use today.
Please ask your Information Librarians for assistance in searching and using the databases effectively.
Link to A-Z list of UFH Subscription databases
Off-Campus Access to Databases
How to access the UFH Library’s subscription databases from off-campus locations.
In terms of its contracts with its suppliers, the UFH Library is required to limit access to subscription databases to staff and student of the University. Your on campus use is validated by your computer’s IP address, a process that does not require any inputs from you. Off-campus access cannot be controlled in this way. Therefore to use the databases from your home, or other off-campus location, you are required to first identify yourself as a registered Library user.
- You must have:
- Registered at the Library as a library user.
- A library allocated barcode for academics (Alice) or employee number for East London academics.
- Student number for students.
- Create a PIN number for yourself on the UFH Library OPAC (Online Public Access Catalog.) See the Library’s webpage for details.
- Point you browser at the Resources. (Web-page) http://www.ufh.ac.za/library -Select Subscription Databases -Select the database you want to use e.g. EBSCOhost.
- The Web Access Management Login Screen appears (example below). Enter your surname, barcode (if academic) and PIN to identify yourself. (Note: Please ignore the example shown for “name” on this screen. UFH users should only enter their surname.
- You should be given access to the database you selected.
- A ten minute time out is operative on the authorization. If you leave the connection unattended for 10 minutes or longer, you will be required to login again when you return.
Video Tutorial: What is a Library Database?
Video Tutorial: Introduction to Science Direct