Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
ACRL Standard Two
The information literate student accesses needed information effectively and efficiently.
- The information literate student selects the most appropriate investigative methods or information retrieval systems for accessing the needed information.
- The information literate student constructs and implements effectivelydesigned
- The information literate student retrieves information online or in person using a variety of methods.
- The information literate student refines the search strategy if necessary.
- The information literate student extracts, records, and manages the information and its sources.
Source: Information literacy competency standards for higher education. (2000).
After completing this SECTION, you will be able to:
- know where to find the correct information,
- understand the difference between information finding tools and information sources,
- recognise and use different information sources
- apply the following searching techniques:
- boolean logic
- phrase searching
The following topics are covered in this section and will equip you to start the searching process: